Nutritional supplements can help to maintain healthy joints and offer relief from pain and discomfort. Although these supplements can be beneficial for a wide range of joint conditions, many are most effective when taken to treat particular symptoms.
We hope that this guide will help you to find the best supplement to suit your needs.
What is osteoarthritis? Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease in which the cartilage between joints begins to wear away, causing the bones to rub against each other. Common causes of osteoarthritis include ageing joints, overuse, and injury.
Symptoms of osteoarthritis include pain and stiffness in the joints, loss of motion, swelling, and difficulty gripping objects.
Supplements for Osteoarthritis
- Glucosamine Sulphate: Optimal levels of glucosamine are naturally found in the joint tissue of healthy joints. High quality supplements may help to replenish depleting stores and improve the condition of affected joints. More.
- Green Lipped Mussel: Studies have shown that supplementation with green lipped mussels can help to reduce joint inflammation and improve joint mobility over an eight week period. They may also help to improve joint lubrication. More.
- Rosehip: Extracts from the rosehip berry contain high concentrations of vitamin C and have been found to significantly reduce joint pain. Rosehip supplements are often taken with glucosamine sulphate for good overall joint health. More.
What is rheumatoid arthritis? Rheumatoid arthritis is a common form of inflammatory arthritis. It is an autoimmune disease that causes the body’s immune system to attack its own joints. Over time, this inflammation can lead to joint damage. Rheumatoid arthritis more commonly affects women, than men.
Symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis include joint pain and stiffness, which often affects more than one joint at a time. Other symptoms include loss of appetite, fatigue, and swelling. The affected joints may also feel warm to the touch.
Supplements for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Omega 3 Fish Oils: The essential fatty acids EPA and DHA contained in omega 3 fish oils are believed to offer anti-inflammatory properties. Many people take these to help reduce pain and stiffness, especially in the mornings. More.
- Evening Primrose Oil: EPO contains essential fatty acids, in particular GLA. In the body GLA is converted into prostaglandins, which are believed to play a key role in reducing inflammation. More.
- Ginger: Recent findings suggest that ginger may help to inhibit joint swelling. Ginger contains volatile oils, monoterpenes and amino acids, which are believed to be responsible for its potential anti-inflammatory benefits. More.
What is Fibromyalgia? The causes of Fibromyalgia are not yet fully understood. Some experts believe that it could be due to hormonal and chemical imbalances in the body that affect nerve signalling. This joint condition is believed to affect nearly 1 in 20 people worldwide.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia include pain all over the body, stiffness, fatigue, headaches, depression, and difficulty sleeping.
Supplements for Fibromyalgia
- Vitamin D: People suffering from fibromyalgia are often found to be deficient in vitamin D. This deficiency can lead to muscle aches, depression, and anxiety. Supplementation with vitamin D can help to relieve these symptoms. More.
- Magnesium: As with vitamin D, low levels of magnesium are often found in people suffering from fibromyalgia. Magnesium is an essential mineral that helps to maintain healthy muscle function and can increase the levels of certain hormones in the body. More.
- 5-Hydroxytryptophan: 5-HTP is a building block of serotonin – the body’s free-good chemical. In supplement form, 5-HTP is believed to help reduce the feelings of anxiety and depression that are commonly associated with fibromyalgia. It can also help to improve sleep patterns. More.
You might also like…
Spotlight on… Glucosamine Sulphate: Glucosamine is a base ingredient for many joint supplements around the world to help ease joint pain.
Study: Green Lipped Mussel may reduce joint pain: Supplementation with Green Lipped Mussels can offer natural relief from joint pain and inflammation.
6 ways to relieve back pain at work: So many Brits suffer from excruciating pain throughout the day whilst trying to manage a heavy workload. What can you do?